Friday, July 17, 2009

The Payoff for Paying Attention

Or, as my Auntie used to say. "The proof is in the pudding", which is, in this case, the tatting!



Suzanne , you were so right. I can do better - and indeed did! This is the second piece I tatted. The first one is pictured above, beside the new one and to the right, looking decidedly more lopsided.




My first error was in not using the same thread sizes. I was happy with the colour and was eager to tat the pattern, so I ignored the obvious ramifications of that decision!

Secondly, I did not have the confidence required to get the thing done with any gusto. How else to get panache into one's creations, if there is no zest, no spark, no attention to the little details. After all, to me, that is the challenge of this game called tatting.

The last picture clearly demonstrates why it is important to use the right size thread. All the blocking in the world will not fix it, if it is too big!



Anon,

6 comments:

  1. I guess persistence really does pay off! The difference is amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you , Diane! I am pleased that you see it. The difference is monumental to me, but I was not sure it would be very noticeable to others. : )

    ReplyDelete
  3. Well, that is awesome that you learned what works and what doesn't. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Good for you. I am sure I will probably run into problems as I progress in my tatting skills and your message will help me get through them.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow! Your second one is just lovely! In reading different tatting posts lately, it seems that there is no such thing as a minor detail and that patterns work up differently for each individual. It's wonderful when it all comes together though, isn't it?
    Ann

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi Ann, You are so right! Just like there are no mistakes - there seems to be no such thing as a minor detail - in tatting or anywhere else!

    ReplyDelete