Thursday, March 24, 2011

Egg; Chick; Life --- Yellow!


I settled on white and yellow - my new very favourite colour it seems.
The hankie will be edged in this pattern: Mary Konior's 'Oranges and Lemons'.

I started with Frivole's pattern: Iris, but as much as I like it, it did not seem to go with the lily-of-the-valley embroidery, so I switched to another M.K pattern: Eléonore.

This is a really lovely old pattern. but tatting it in Celery, a gorgeous HDT of Yarnplayer's, I found was a bit too heavy a look  for the delicate hanky.

Plus, I realized I did not have enough thread to finish the entire border.

So, it seems as if those of you who preferred the white edging have won out!

But, just to be ornery, I have added the little, yellow beads, for I think they will look perfect with the embroidery which has a tiny bit of yellow in the flowers.

Thanks, Linda Davies. for so many ideas.

Her blog, Tattyhead, has some lovely edgings and has got me all fired up for hanky borders!

16 comments:

  1. I do like Oranges and Lemons. It looks like a great match for the hanky!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Both edgings look awesome!!!
    I like the green with it, but since you are wanting to draw more attention on the flower I think the white and yellow will bring them out. :)
    Maybe you could use the green on a different one. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. GK, I wish I could! I realize I have very little of this thread left!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oranges and Lemons! Oranges and Lemons! Delicate and fresh, soft and elegant - what a great choice for this handkerchief. Don't get me wrong, the green is gorgeous, but it stands up and commands attention. The Oranges and Lemons edging whispers, like a lover.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yes, I love your choice of white and yellow. It is you because you added the beads to complement the simple tatting design. It does not distract from the lovely Lily of the Valley embroidery. What a wonderful and delicate look. Your heirloom handkerchief is going to be just gorgeous, Fox.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Beautiful! Oranges and Lemons is a lovely choice and the little yellow beads compliment very nice. The green is nice, but not with this delicate hanky. Karen

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love this light edging!! I need to get some lessons from you in using beads--your selections are always so great.

    I might have to try a handkerchief soon. You always add more to my to-tat list :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. The oranges and lemons look delicate and like a soft whisper of spring. It's light and will accent the hanky, rather than command attention. Though, mind, I do love the celery.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Thanks, All!

    Tattin'Kat, I am sure you are ready to do an edging! I challenge you to tat one - with just a few beads!
    Fox ; ))

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a perfect compromise! Love the yellow beads! It will be SO pretty. I gotta say though, I am SURPRISED how much I like the celery edging as I had a strong opinion that white was the way to go. The green is so restful - makes me want to lay down in a field of clover and gaze at the sky - can you tell I've had a glass of wine?
    :) Ann

    ReplyDelete
  11. Your edging is so very pretty! I love the colors you used!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I just love the yellow beads with the white it gives it a fresh look!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Beaucoup de délicatesse dans cette bordure blanche perlée de jaune....

    Le printemps est arrivé! ! !

    ReplyDelete
  14. Even your shuttle is in matching colours!!!!!!!!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. That's such a pretty shuttle! Those edgings are perfect, especially the green one. I really ought to do a handkerchief at some point.

    Do you sew it yourself or get them ready to tat onto?

    ReplyDelete
  16. Anika, These are really old, fine hankies. I sew them on. Very carefully!
    Fox : )

    ReplyDelete