Monday, August 12, 2013

Shuttle Shenanigans


Shhh..... just between us....

I tried miserably to fix the tension on this poor shuttle. This is not the first time it has happened either.

All I wanted was good tension; a shuttle that did not give up its thread so easily; a little co-operation. But, nooooooo!

All I got in response to my simple requests was slippage, fumble and dismay. Finally it all got too much for me; I mean how much must a tatter  take? I could not stand it anymore...

YES... I ADMIT IT. I pinched the shuttle.....

It was an accident!

I confess: the Aerlits were made to order for me by LaCossette, who obliged when I asked her to cover my own Aerlits. So, this is not her fault. I cannot blame anyone but myself. I am sorry. Truly. Humbly.

Anyone else out there in Tat-Land not pleased with the tension in the Aerlit? Bah!

This does not happen with the Aero shuttle....

Moving on:

I LOVE LOVE LOVE this thread! Perfect Quilter. Thank you, Liyarra, who sent it to me as I had never used it before.
It is wonderful to work with - such vibrant colour and shine! Really terrific. I might just have to replenish my dwindling stash.

Next:

Before I had decided to re-do the Linda Davies doily by cutting what I had already done, I considered tatting it in completely different colours:


However, I might not actually go any further with the new one, as I am almost finished with the re-do, and am getting a bit fed up (as usual) with this pattern - lovely as it is! I will post the new version very soon.

Then:

The newly ordered Cèbèlia arrived in the post. I just had to try that pattern the Frivole and Janemactats have done as it was on my mind and worrying me that I would not be able to do it. I think I have figured it out... it is not quite as difficult as I had imagined. This one has intrigued me since I saw it on Frivole’s blog. It is the next project planned. : )


Lastly:

Progress on my Pine Plains pattern! I have one of the test-tat photos and it is beautiful! As soon as the other test tats are in I will post the pattern on Etsy.


p.s.  HUGE sale on Perfect Quilter thread here. : ))
I’m afraid I succumbed to temptation....
Thanks, Liyarra.... : ))

22 comments:

  1. Oh no! Poor shuttle!

    Interesting thread, lovely motif! That Victorian trellis is a beauty but too daunting for me!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Michelle, it has taken me till now to try this pattern as I was intimidated, but Jane promised it was not difficult and you know, once you see what is happening - it is all chains - it is not at all difficult to. Listen, if I can tat this, anyone can!!! : ))

      Delete
  2. See? Not that difficult. Sorry about the shuttle!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Well, so far so good, but I have just done the first trying-it-out bit... The jury is still out on the “for real” tatting. : ))

      Delete
  3. Sounds like you have been busy love these colors. I wonder what size thread the quilting thread ends up being? you think 80? does it twist up?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Like a plump #80. Seems a bit thicker than DMC #80. It does not twist. : )

      Delete
  4. SO sorry about the shuttle. On a plain aerlit, you can dip it in near boiling water to soften it a bit and THEN pinch it. It also works to put a few reinforcing rings on the loose bobbins. I am hurting for you. Those shuttles are expensive!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Fox

    I feel for your shuttle, poor thing what a terrible accident.
    You have been busy I love the first motif bright and gorgeous colours in the thread.
    Your efforts with Joelle pattern look a bit confusing, hope you get it sorted.
    Your last little pattern, that looks beautiful I like the way it goes around the centre well done.
    Poor Gian did not get a mention, I hope his vet visit goes well and I am sending him a cuddle and love
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Margaret,
      Friday morning is his check up. I am NOT looking forward to the wailing and screeching in the crowded elevator.... : (

      Delete
  6. Sorry about your beautiful shuttle. I'm not happy with that shuttle, it lost it's tension quickly. Too bad for Handy Hands, love their products.
    Your tatting is gorgeous as usual. Look forward to reading your blog.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Sorry to hear you had such frustration with your shuttle. If it wasn't fun to tat with the only other choice you had was to use it as decoration, right? Still, very disappointing. I haven't tried Perfect Quilter thread yet but I have heard good things about it. I'm now going to check out your link...

    ReplyDelete
  8. I promise not to pinch my Aerlit shuttles. It probably won't be a problem, because I really love my Clovers, and I truly forget to use my bobbin shuttles.

    Do I dare check out the link for thread? I know I should resist. I can't use up all the thread I have. Oh, no... I feel my fingers reaching out to click on the link... HELP!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Let me know... tee hee It is a great deal though! : ))

      Delete
  9. I think the shuttle that I melted was an Aerlit (Sorry Sue Anna). Still have the spare bobbin as a reminder. I really like the light blue on the Davies Doily!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Carrie!
      Oh dear! Sounds dangerous. I can’t put LaCossette in water, I’m afraid.

      Thanks, I like that blue centre as well... maybe... : ))
      Fox

      Delete
  10. You would never be convicted by a jury of your peers.

    There was a discussion, maybe a year ago, about handling bobbin slip. I think it was Linda Davies who recommended filling the bobbin hole with rubber calk. It made good sense to me.

    I checked and Superior Threads has discontinued Perfect Quilt thread. So sorry.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Lucky I bought a bunch if it at over 50% off regular price! Lucky me! . : )

      Delete
  11. Bummer about the shuttle. So far I just hate the loud clicking from the Aerlits, but my frustration hasn't resulted in destruction!

    I LOVE that Victorian Trellis doily, but it scares me as well. I want to see YOU do it first . . .

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You and Michelle are incorrigible. You both could handle that pattern, no sweat!

      To get rid of that noise I tore a length of thread through the noisy beast and it removed the clicking. Unfortunately, it also removed all the tension as well!

      Now all my shuttles are free-wheel'in and virtually useless!

      Delete
  12. Very beautiful motif on top and I love the colors!!! :)
    Your doily starts look good in both sets of colors!! :)
    Your trellis doily start looks good! :)
    Very nice pattern!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice tats, Fox! Sad about the shuttles. Love the pink/green/turquoise combo.

    ReplyDelete