Saturday, May 24, 2014

Refusing To Re-design

What an ordeal! Hours and hours in this piece. I really had a rough time with it.

I had to cut off the last row, which is the penultimate row in the pattern, because it was too tight and cramped, perhaps because the original was tatted in a larger thread and I used # 80. Also, it was very ornate and dated looking, in my opinion.

If I were to change it up, I would simplify the last two rows to emphasize the beauty of the inner wheel, rather than drawing the eye to the outer edge. Just a thought.



There are so many errors in this piece, including how I attached the centre bit, weaving it with gold thread to the outer piece. I had messed up the picot count throughout the joining row! 

So, I am done. It looks pretty, but is one botched tat! Into the drawer it goes!

Glad I gave it a go, but this is definitely not a pattern I enjoyed one bit. Too fussy for me, unless I modified all the chain rows. I am NOT about to tackle that. : )

11 comments:

  1. Fox, this is already fantastic! If anyone can do it, it's you! But, if you don't enjoy making all these fine picots, don't . Tatting is meant to be fun The book does not say anything about the # of thread.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think it looks fabulous! I don't see the mistakes, I just see the lovely design, evenly tatted, with a color combination that really enhances the design.

    You're like one of my harp students. She took first place in the competition last week, and all she could talk about at her lesson today was the couple of wrong notes she hit-- never mind all the ones she got right! So focus more on the stitches you made well, would ya?

    ReplyDelete
  3. It might not be to your liking, but I think it's beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Fox

    You may not like the pattern, but it looks lovely I can't see any mistakes but you know where they are, it's a pity to lock it away in a draw.
    Love to Gian
    Margaret

    ReplyDelete
  5. It certainly looks spectacular and the agony doesn't show. I hope your next project is more enjoyable!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Suppose Fox DOES finish this project, she could call it: aggravated agony. I'm bad.

      Delete
  6. You made it yours. It is very unique and if you did not mention it, I wonder who will notice. Your perseverance paid off.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This pattern is unique and the white wavy part is what makes it like no other I have seen! Once again I love your color choice, and the fact you finished it with all that trouble, you deserve a medal ! Also the tiny thread makes this another thing to admire! Well done it is beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think it's gorgeous and I love the design and the colors you used!!! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. I don't see any problem with it at all. I think and look a piece I made to death also. But if you take a week and look at it again without focusing on what you don't like then you will see the whole of it and how beautiful it really is. :)

    ReplyDelete